With general guidance from the Director of Finance, the Senior Accountant is responsible for overall general ledger maintenance and the processing of day-to-day accounting activities including cash receipts, general journal entries, and accounts payable activities, and the production of related reports as required. The position provides direct supervision to the accounts payable staff, collaborates with other finance team members, and provides back up support to accounts payable, payroll, and grant management. Implements the YWCA’s Mission, Purpose and One Imperative.
Position: Senior Accountant
Supervisor: Director of Finance
Compensation Range: $60,000-$70,000/year, Excellent Benefits
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday; Typical Business Hours. Occasional evening or weekend work. Flexible as a response to program needs and as arranged with supervisor.
With general guidance from the Director of Finance, the Senior Accountant is responsible for overall general ledger maintenance and the processing of day-to-day accounting activities including cash receipts, general journal entries, and accounts payable activities, and the production of related reports as required. \
- Ensure timely and accurate maintenance of general ledger including:
- Cash Receipt coding and posting;
- Accounts Payable review and oversight of coding, approvals and controls;
- General journal entry preparation and/or posting;
- Monthly analysis and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts.
- Perform end of month and end of year close of periods.
- Perform routine banking activities.
- Oversee payroll submissions.
- Maintain fixed asset inventory.
- Manage and properly record net asset classifications.
- Provide monthly review and support to grant billing and tracking processes with staff accountants.
- Ensure timely and accurate payment and reporting of payroll taxes and unemployment insurance.
- Assist with cash flow analysis including but not limited to tracking cash flow activity.
- Prepare interim financial statements and related support for submission to the Director of Finance.
- Assist in regular analysis and reporting of spending and variance trends compared to budget s and historical data.
- Regular and ongoing maintenance of audit trail and supporting documentation/spreadsheets to serve as audit work papers.
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance, assist in the facilitation of all audit, regulatory and financial review and reporting activities.
- Assist Director of Finance and Vice President of Finance as needed.
- Provide back up support to accounts payable, payroll and grant management activities.
- Act as liaison with Directors and other staff for accounting and finance information.
- Maintain compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains accounts payable staff in the department.
- Oversees the daily workflow and product outputs of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Assists with related special projects as required.
- Comply with Association policy regarding required reporting of child abuse, elder abuse, suicide and homicide.
- Safeguard confidential information gained as a result of job.
- As a YWCA employee, project a positive image of the Association and its programs to the community and the Association.
- Work cooperatively with program participants, YWCA staff, volunteers, contractors and vendors.
- Participate in local, state and national professional networks as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgement; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing. Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Approaches others with tact; Manages pressure and stress in a positive manner; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Seeks ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Adaptability. Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to effectively manage change, delays, or unexpected events.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Occasionally required to stand.
- Continually required to sit.
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Occasionally required to bend, stoop, kneel.
- Frequently required to talk or hear.
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard.
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items up to 25 pounds.