Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Provide comprehensive legal assistance to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, and human trafficking in an array of proceedings to assist them in stabilizing their lives and when seeking justice. Implement the YWCA’s mission to: Eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
Department: Law & Policy
Supervisor: Senior Director of Law & Policy
Wage Range: DOE
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Hours: Monday – Friday; Typical Business Hours. Flexible as a response to program needs and as arranged with supervisor.
1. Represent low-income survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, and human trafficking in an array of family court and housing court proceedings, including dissolution, child custody and support, restraining orders, and evictions. Provide support in Title IX investigations for survivors seeking remedy through an academic institution.
2. Provide advocacy, including entering notices of appearance for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, and human trafficking who are participating as witnesses in the criminal prosecution of their perpetrator.
3. Learn and assist with the diverse legal needs of undeserved and vulnerable communities in Southwest Michigan.
4. Provide workshops and technical assistance to community partners and client communities on family law and a broad range of civil legal issues.
5. Develop relationships and engage in collaboration with a range of public and private community partners, including governmental agencies, courts, and community based organizations, to ensure integrative services and address systemic barriers facing survivors of violence.
6. Engage in other tasks and projects that further the interest of furthering YWCA Kalamazoo’s mission to eliminate racism and empower women.
Education requirements, certifications, work experience
1. Membership in good standing with the Michigan Bar.
2. Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
3. Excellent writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, with ability to be detail-oriented.
4. Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with a dynamic team.
5. Curious and self-directed with an ability to anticipate what needs to be done.
6. Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp of individual project details.
7. Exhibits humility in working with colleagues and clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and/or limited English proficiency.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.